The front entrance of Miidera Temple is a cypress-bark-roofed tower gate with three bays and an opening in the central bay. This style is known as sangen-ikko in Japanese. The gate originally stood at Jorakuji Temple in present-day Konan City, Shiga Prefecture, before being moved to Fushimi Castle by Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Tokugawa Ieyasu donated it to Miidera Temple in 1601.
The gate was constructed in 1452 and features kaerumata wooden strut carvings and kumimono wooden brackets characteristic of the Muromachi period (1336–1573). Kongorikishi (Nio) statues made in 1457 are enshrined on both sides of the gate, serving as a reminder of the long history of the temple.
- Muromachi Period
(4th year of Hōtoku Era, 1452)